Benefits of Chiropractic treatment during pregnancy:
- Shorter labor times (some studies show women who seek chiropractic care have 25-31% shorter labor times)
- Reduction in preterm delivery & cesarean delivery
- Reduction of use of forceps during delivery & meconium stained amniotic fluid
- Reduced back pain, sciatic pain and pelvic pain (low back pain & sciatica during pregnancy are very common areas of relief)
- Decreased stress & anxiety
- Relief from headaches and migraines
- Pain relief for multiple births (twins, triplets, etc.)
- Reduce urinary incontinence
What techniques and therapies are beneficial before, during and after pregnancy?
- Gentle Non-Force Adjustments
- Manual Therapy
- Pelvic Floor Work
- Baby Flipping (if needed)
- Exercises & Stretching
Why does my back hurt more during pregnancy?
When pregnant, the mother carries more weight from the baby as well as additional weight gain from pregnancy. This additional load on the lumbar spine (low back) and Sacroiliac Joints (SI Joints) are main factors in common low back / hip pain during pregnancy. Additionally, as the baby develops and the weight is projected forward, women will develop lordosis and this places extra stress on the intervertebral disks and facet joints. This lordosis is normal and is your body compensating for the baby’s growth. However the lumbar lordosis can be very uncomfortable and sometimes painful. Lastly, the increase in progesterone, estrogen and relaxin throughout your pregnancy increases mobility in your pelvis to get ready for child birth. In creating this hyper mobility some women may have a slight decrease in spinal stabilization which can cause pain and discomfort.
Is it safe to get Chiropractic treatment and adjustments while pregnant?
Many women are afraid to have Chiropractic treatment while pregnant. Our clinic uses non-force techniques for adjustment and several non-invasive and pain free techniques such as massage therapy, acupuncture, stretching & exercises & MOXA therapy for a combination of effective and safe treatments for pregnant women. These therapies are all optional, but have shown to decrease pain and increase functionality in some pregnant women seeking relief from common discomfort andor pain during and after their pregnancy.